Simple Ways to Cut Down your Electric Bill
We do realize nowadays that our electric bills are getting damn too high which may disturb the significant part of our monthly budget. But with few techniques and minor adjustments it is possible to cut down your electric costs. This can rather be helpful in stopping global warming too.
image credit: www.mpw.org
Just follow the given below steps to reduce your electricity bill for your home, office, store etc…
Try to Embrace natural light:
Just open up your curtains and let the sunlight enter your room so that your whole place gets natural light. This is a very simple and easy technique but the truth is most of them are not following that.
The same is true even for your offices or work place.
So just follow this easy step instead of relying on the artificial lights during day time. This will definitely bring down your electric bill costs.
Change your Bulbs:
Take a look at all the bulbs at your home. Replace all regular incandescent bulbs with CFL or LED bulbs which are a big energy savor. The advantages of using CFL bulbs are
* They consume only about ¼ th the energy of incandescent bulbs. But remember, they must be disposed properly when they burn out since they contain traces of mercury.
* LED bulbs are newer to the market but little expensive than the CFL bulbs and do not contain mercury.
Switch off your lights:
This is the simplest and most common way to save electricity and it really works. Just start paying attention to how many lights are used at a time. Try to switch off the lights immediately when not in use. Use only necessary lights and turn off all the unnecessary electric supply.
Unplug the appliances when not in use:
Do you know that the appliances which are plugged keep using power even when they are switched off? Just be mindful to power off your plugs especially for the following appliances like
* Computers which may use lot of energy when stayed plugged in. So shut down your computer and unplug it without fail.
* Unplug your sound systems and speakers which may rather suck huge lot of electricity even when they are not in use.
* Don’t forget to unplug the small appliances like phone chargers, hair dryers, mixer, grinder, etc.
Check on “Energy star ratings” while purchasing new appliances:
When old appliances where manufactured, companies weren’t concerned in saving consumer’s electricity. But nowadays, most of the appliances that are available in the market can save electricity for the consumers.
Look for “Energy star ratings” in the new appliances that help to save more electric energy for you.
Power consumption for important home appliances(Per hour) :
* Fan = 60 -100 watts
* Washing machine = 700 watts
* Refrigerator(165 liters)= 200 watts
* Window AC= 1500-2000 watts
* Tube light= 40 watts
* Computer = 200 watts
* Geyser = 1000-2000 watts
* Iron box = 600-1000 watts
So using this above list, calculate your approximate units consumed per day. If it is above an usual amount then it is the time to check on your electric bill.
Simple and Important tips to save your electric cost:
* Do not leave your television in standby mode. Devices can use up to 90% of power in standby mode which is seriously wastage.
* Do not keep opening your refrigerator for a long time since it may lose most of the energy while it is kept open.
* Cook many items at the same time when your electric oven is hot.
* Cool cooked foods before you put them in fridge.
* Do not put any uncovered liquids in the fridge. Their evaporation will make the fridge to work harder.
* Just as the refrigerator, don’t keep opening the oven door every time since it may lose up to 20 degree Celsius of heat.
* Put your lamps at the corner of the room so that the brightness will be reflected off in two walls.
* Better use cold water for washing rather than hot waters in washing machines.
* Defrost your fridge and freezer regularly.
* Use the smallest post while heating foods in oven, so that it might be soon heated while consuming less power.
* Turn geyser temperature to less than 60 degree Celsius while taking bath. Also you can go for solar heaters if possible.
* Instead of using tumble dryers hang your clothes out so that it gets dried naturally.
* Don’t preheat or peek inside the oven unnecessarily. Instead just check the indicators on the oven doors.
* Make use of Front loading washing machine instead of top loading washing machine.
Saving electricity doesn’t just save money, it also saves the environment. It is also a better idea if you are thinking of to switch over to solar power. Solar is indeed affordable in many cases.